Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Signs That Speak

May 6 Tuesday of the 3rd week of Easter
A thought for those who want to bear prophetic witness through lifestyle

Acts 7:51-8:1; Psalm 31:3cd-4, 6, 7b, 8a, 17, 21ab; John 6:30-35


“What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you?”... “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.” John 6:35

Joy is proof that faith is not fantasy. It is hard to argue against happiness. So Christians have an obligation to be happy! It is an essential for bearing witness to Jesus Christ.

Jesus gave two formulae for happiness: “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger… I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness” (John 6:35; 8:12).

The greater our hunger, the more we have to eat to be satisfied. The more we suffer, the more we have to deal with Jesus to be happy. Suffering can become a blessing by driving us to him—if our faith is strong enough to give us hope that we can find happiness in love. Stephen died happy because he saw “the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at God’s right hand.” We can see Jesus acting in our lives if we look. Jesus has promised: “Anyone who comes to me I will never drive away… Come to me, all you carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest” (John 6:37; Matthew 11:28). Through word and sacrament.

PRAY: “Lord, give me light through your word and strength through your sacraments.”


PRACTICE: Look for light and strength at Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!