Monday, July 28, 2014

Never Alone

July 29: Tuesday of Week 17 of Ordinary Time, Year A-II:
Jeremiah 14:17-22; Psalm 79:8, 9, 11, 13; Luke 10:38-42 (Matthew 13:36-43)

Thoughts to help us surrender to Jesus expressing himself through us in ministry.


“Do you not care that my sister has left me to do the serving by myself?” Luke 10:48

If it were up to us, would we leave Jesus alone to serve God’s people? (Or the clergy? Or “more involved” members of the church?) Jesus said at the Last Supper, “The hour is coming… when… you will leave me alone.”

But he added, “Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me.”

And those who minister as his body on earth are never alone either. Jesus ministers with them, in them and through them. Otherwise, they are not ministering; just going through the motions.

When Martha complained that Mary had left her alone to do the work, Jesus replied, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part...” The “better part” is being with Jesus, whether working, playing, or resting.

 “Praying,” wasn’t included above, because that is what “being with Jesus” is. To “pray always” (Luke18:1) is to consciously let Jesus act with us, in us and through us. When we don’t do that, we are “leaving Jesus alone” to keep saving the world without our conscious cooperation.

He still uses us, but he can do it better when we are aware of what we are doing. Cultivate awareness.


PRAY ALWAYS: “Lord, do this with me, do this in me, do this through me.”


PRACTICE: Keep a crucifix in sight. Be creative about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!